Marcie has been an online writer for over three years. Her article often
focus on customer service or pet care.
Read on to learn if Pit Bulls are the right breed for you and your family.
Vitor Fontes via Unsplash
Are Pit Bulls the Right Dog for You?
I remember being 15 years old and bringing home my first pit bull. He was a
beautiful caramel color and had the biggest green eyes. He was cold in the
street, and I couldn’t just leave him there. My parents told me he was my
responsibility if an owner did not come forward.
Needless to say, my love and learned knowledge for these animals have greatly
increased since then. That being said, I do believe (just as with any other
breed) that there is a certain type of person/family to fit this breed’s
needs. Do you have the time and patience to work with them on socializing
(with people and other animals), household behavior, and obedience? These are
all specific areas that will need your attention.
Socializing Your Pit Bull
With this breed it’s important to start social behavior at a young age.
They’re Not Aggressive (But They May Be Territorial)
Despite what many believe, these animals are not naturally aggressive towards
people. Yet, they do tend to be highly territorial, so getting them use to
interaction with other animals at a young age is extremely beneficial. This
will help them to feel more comfortable and confident around other animals.
Give Your Pit Bull a Doggie Social Life
There are several easy ways you can begin to socialize them, but you have to
take the time to do it. For a family, it can also become a great bonding
activity. Daily walks, going to dog parks and setting up “play dates” with
other animal friends are all great ways to prepare your dog socially. These
can also become really fun activities for you and your dog.
Be Patient and Set Boundaries
Always remember, you want to set firm boundaries in a patient and loving way.
This breed is very loyal, and they should be able to trust their owners to
show them how to be the best they can.
Pit Bull Household Behavior
This is a very active and energetic breed, so without the proper training and
guidelines to follow, they can be hard for some people to handle. I have found
many things to help with around the house issues that I have noticed.
- Make Sure They Have Chew Toys: For instance, it’s good to have plenty of chew toys. A lot of pet stores even have “pit bull” strength chew toys now. These dogs do enjoy chewing, and if they get bored, they could end up gnawing on a shoe or even a piece of furniture.
- House Breaking Is Likely a Standard Process: House breaking I found to be pretty much the same as any other breed, so you might want to read more on “dog potty training.”
- Be Consistent: You want to catch any puppy habits like jumping (on people or furniture), nipping or anything you notice that could turn into an issue later and work on correcting it early. Be consistent when you are correcting but also give praise when they are giving you the appropriate behavior.
Scroll to Continue
Read More From Pethelpful
Why Does My Cat Sit on My Stuff?
Tips for Home Care for Your Vomiting Cat When You Cannot Visit the Vet
The Top 10 Fastest Dog Breeds
Pit bulls have just as much love to give as any other breed.
Lucas Ludwig via Unsplash
Pit Bull Obedience
- Take Obedience Classes: Of course, I do always believe that obedience classes are always a good idea for any dog breed as well as owner. The more knowledge and understanding of these amazing animals, the better.
- In My Experience, Obedience Works: I have four beautiful children and currently own two amazing pit bulls. One Red Staffordshire Terrier and one Blue Bull Terrier. Different breeds, different ages and yet they are our family’s best friends. They have never bit anyone or anything. We can take them with us on outings and know that we will not have any behavior issues (with them) Lol! We love and trust them and they feel the same for us.
Pit Bulls Are Good Family Dogs
Are pit bulls a family dog? Just make sure that you are a pit bull type of
family and that you’re willing to put in the time, patience and love. If you
feel confident that they are the breed for you, trust me when I say, your
family will never find a more loving, loyal and trustworthy friend.
Mike on July 22, 2020:
I made a typo in my previous post. Pits are NOT good pets for weak willed or
type A personallity people.
Mike on July 22, 2020:
Alfa male and female pits are born to kill just like anyother pack leaders,
their instincts cannot be changed. They are not house pets, they are hunters
and must be avoided as pets. Pits are almost human and must be treated like
childern that are loved, they must never be locked away like an abused child.
Pits understand every word you say and feel your emotions, they crave praise
and are emotionally hurt by rebuke. Pits are large high energy children and
will chew on the legs of your precious antiques. They are good pets for weak
willed and unstable people or type A personallities.
Anne Fry on June 28, 2020:
I’M A VERY PROUD PIT BULL MOMMY!!!!!! My Boyfriend and I Rescued, Mowgli from
the Shelter!!!! HE’S OUR SON!!!!!!!
PIT BULLS ARE THE BEST DOG EVER!!!!!!!!!