The majority of these companies have headquarters in Japan, with others inThailand, Australia and South Korea.
Among companies based in Asia or Australia, the pet food producers listedbelow had the highest annual revenue in 2021, according to Petfood Industry’sTop Companies Current Data. The majority of these companies have headquartersin Japan, with others in Thailand, Australia and South Korea.
Asia and Australia include a wide range of pet food markets with individualconsumer demand trends. For example, until a few decades ago, many in SouthKorea considered cats as little more than vermin, Sunny Moon, food andnutrition consultant with Euromonitor International, told Petfood Industry ina previous article. Similarly, dogs occupied a lower role in society than theydo now. However, changing attitudes about dogs and cats have created anopportunity for economy-priced pet foods in South Korea, especially fordomestic brands.
In other previous Petfood Industry journalism, a report on Japan‘s pet foodmarket by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Foreign Agricultural Service(USDA FAS) underscored Japan’s growing demand for super high-quality pet foodas well as for specialized healthy and therapeutic pet foods labeled assickness prevention, allergen-free, vitamins/supplements fortified, gluten-free, low in carbohydrates, high in protein and more.
Thailand is banking on the continued growth of their pet food exports to helpshore up their economy in 2021 against the pandemic doldrums.
The Ministry of Commerce’s Trade Policy and Strategy Office expects theexports of pet food, along with canned goods, rice, computers and medicalproducts to combat COVID-19 to grow and help the country’s exports gain 4% in2021 after a contraction of up to 7% in 2020 largely due to the pandemic. Withthat drop, Thailand’s 2020 exports totaled US$238 billion.
11 top pet food companies in Asia and Australia
1. Unicharm Corp. – Japan
- Annual revenue 2021 – US$822,000,000
- Brands: Grand Deli and Best Balance (dogs); Gin no Spoon and Gin no Spoon Mitsuboshi (cats)
- Employees: 16,300
2. Thai Union Group – Thailand
- Annual revenue 2021 – US$618,000,000
- Brands: Bellotta, Marvo, Calico Bay, Paramount
3. Jeil Feed – South Korea
- Annual revenue 2021 – US$534,720,000
- Brands: PuongMi, Gozip, Ideal Recepe, ChouChou, Dog Mania, NutriWell, Wonder, Full of Nature, Full of Meet
- Employees: 364
4. Real Pet Food Company – Australia
- Annual revenue 2021 – US$500,000,000
- Brands: Nature’s Gift, Nature’s Goodness, Tucker Time, Dr B’s BARF, Billy + Margot, Ivory Coat, Fussy Cat, V.I.P. Petfoods and Farmers Market, Trilogy
- Employees: 900
5. Perfect Companion Group Co. – Thailand
- Annual revenue 2021 – US$428,000,000
- Brands: SmartHeart, Me-O, LuvCare, Classic Pets, A Pro, IQ, MaxWin, Optimum, Rabbit Diet, Briter Bunny
- Employees: 3,800
6. Petline Ltd. – Japan
- Annual revenue 2021 – US$250,000,000
- Brands: Medycoat, Medyfas, Canet, Professional Balance, JP Style, Carat, Kaiseki
- Employees: 105
7. Inaba Petfood – Japan
- Annual revenue 2021 – US$245,880,000
- Brands: CIAO, TOROMI, TWINS. L Cup, Maruuo, Wagamama-Neko, Kin no Dashi, Maehama no sakana, Wan, INABA
- Employees: 48
8. Maruha Nichiro Corporation – Japan
- Annual revenue 2021 – US$235,000,000
- Brands: Miaw Miaw, Kin-can, Yaizu-no-Maguro, Jun-can, Kenko-can, Kuro-can, Kingfisher, Dog Mom, Cat Mom
9. DoggyMan H.A. Co., Ltd. – Japan
- Annual revenue 2021 – US$184,600,000
- Brands: DoggyMan, CattyMan, MinianiMan
- Employees: 199
10. Nisshin Pet Food Inc. – Japan
- Annual revenue 2021 – US$123,110,000
- Employees: 63
11. Nippon Pet Food Co. – Japan
- Annual revenue 2021 – US$105,510,000
- Brands: Dog food -Vita One, Combo, Beauty Pro, Lacine, Gotouchi, Meguri Cat food – Mio, Combo, Beauty Pro, Lacine Reptile amphibian food – Angel, Swimmy, Charmy, Queen Chan
- Employees: 132
Purchase key data on leading US pet food producers
- 30 leading US pet food producers 2017-2020, available for US$99
The information is sold as a downloadable spreadsheet, allowing customers tosort, filter and analyze the data to suit your specific needs. Data pointsinclude, where available, mailing address, type of products offered, brands,number of employees, number of facilities and annual sales from 2017-2020. Thecompanies are ranked by 2020 revenue.
Participate in the Top Pet Food Companies survey
The Petfood Industry Top Pet Food Companies project annually surveys pet foodcompanies, always with an aim of expanding the reach and scope of thecompanies within the rankings. To be considered for inclusion in the yearlyrankings, please contact [email protected] The data is gathered eachyear through a variety of methods, including direct company contact (a surveyis emailed to participating companies), in-depth research and estimates.
Learn more at Petfood Forum
At Petfood Forum, professionals from around the world come together tonetwork, exchange ideas and move business forward with one another and withthe industry’s leading pet food suppliers and manufacturers.
Source: Tim Wall Petfood Industry
Previous “Get out of the water!” Monster shark movies massacre sharkconservation
Next NSW Health said the follow retail premises can remain open